Aren't visions of sugarplums supposed to be dancing in my head right now?
Why then, do I have lines of code running amock in my head instead ?
Tell me, dear followers...
When you go to sleep at night, do you find yourself thinking,
"ControlChars.CrLF!"
"MessageBox.Show ("You're an idiot!", "Idiotic Warning Message")
"Parent, child, class, object, method, function...zzzz"
and lest we forget
"Instantiate! Instantiate! You must instantiate your object before you can use it!"
I can literally see these rampant lines of code behind my eyelids when I try to unsuccessfully fall asleep after attempting to tackle my programming homework for hours upon hours...
Things like this:
Public Class DVDBurnerForm
Dim dvdObject As DVD
Dim materials() As Bonus
Dim lastAdded As Integer = -1
Dim title, titleMin, bonus1, bonus2, bonus3, min1, min2, min3 As String
'Create an array of Bonus objects to store bonus materials
lastAdded += 1
materials(lastAdded) = New Bonus
materials(lastAdded).Description = bonus1 & "," & bonus2 & "," & bonus3
materials(lastAdded).Length = CInt(min1 & "," & min2 & "," & min3)
End Sub
Pretty, don't you think?
EXCEPT IT DOESN'T FRAKKIN' WORK, DAMMIT!
All the pretty colors to help you realize the different parts of code are doing/referencing/being different things.
You'd think I'd like that aspect, but all it does is serve to remind me that somehow my
materials(lastAdded) = New Bonus
is coming up with a NULL REFERENCE.
That's akin to the blue screen of death.
Okay, not really. But just as frustrating.
Programming is an art form. One I'm not good at. As was proved to me quite easily during my group project. My school is BIG on group projects & presentations. Apparently some of the big midwest company recruiters have told them that college grads are not coming to the workforce with the necessary public speaking and teamwork skills needed for a truly successful career in business.
In the spirit of the season...BAH! Humbug. I speak plenty good.
I shouldn't jest...I actually did have a coworker recently compliment me on my public speaking skills, saying I was good at it. Okay, fine, here's a begrudging Thank You to Carlson School of Management for forcing me to work with a bunch of AA-personality types who were overachievers their whole lives. You think it's tough being the quiet one in the group? Try being in a group entirely comprised of people who are all "natural leaders". Everyone's claws are out trying to grab as much glory/work as they can (not me, the only thing I over-achieve at presently is procrastination).
Anyways...group programming project. Amongst amatuers, basically. Nightmare on 34th Street!
Luckily for me, I got lumped in with three actual, honest-to-god Computer Science majors. Not psuedo-IT majors like mine (I'll manage the crap out of your Info Systems...someday) but people who will actually be doing the work that I'll hopefully manage someday.
So our programmed game of memory is done (complete with pics of My Little Ponies turned into Boba Fett, Leia, the Alien from the Alien movies, MacGyver and Chuck Norris...hmmm, can you guess who was in charge of grabbing images from Google for our game?) and it's pretty freakin' awesome.
No thanks to me!
I think I wrote 5 lines of code and my only other contributions were finding said pics and setting up the initial GUI (pronounced gooey, and means Graphical User Interface for those newbs out there. Who am I kidding? You could care less).
Also luckily, however, these guys are my peeps. Maybe not exactly my brand of peeps (my "Do you play Magic?" question got some stares that said "Uh...in high school!") but my kind of nerd herd distantly related. So in the spirit of group work (where 20% of the people do 80% of the work) they came up with a plan, implemented it, coded it, and tested it.
And Voila! Our very own 4x4 board of Memory (notice how I still say "our" even after admitting to doing hardly anything on it? Tell me I'm not ready for the real-world of business!).
Complete with Chuck Norris' baleful glare over his crossed forearms.
Once next Thursday comes & goes, I'll happily leave behind the world of programming.
Almost.
It WAS kind of neat to make an annoying program called "Catch That Button!". Still trying to figure out how to bypass my employer's firewalls & safety features to install that baby on my SVP's computer as payback for the "You're attractive too, Sarah!" comment the other day....
That'd keep him busier than a hamster with a wheel.
14 comments:
I wish I knew what you were talking about! hehehe
Would any of us (me I mean) be able to see this? Or install it on say, Pup's computer? Or the extreee one we have in the den? Pwease? For old time's sake? After all, I was the one who bought you your first My Little Pony, right?
You must be so happy for a break now baby-girl.
smooches
I wish I did too!
Of course I can share it with you! Do you have a Dropbox account? I can share the .exe file with you that way (gmail won't let you send .exe files from unpublished sources, like myself).
All I can say is huh? and duh. I don't have a clue what any of this means. HOWEVER, I do have several My Little Ponies around here! Thank goodness I don't have to speak code to understand that.
Are they 1980's My Little Ponies? Cuz those are the best.
They absolutely are! Belonged to my daughter who is an '82 model.
But but...you are attractive too. Take the compliments while they are dishing them out. Your whole story of programing hurt my brain and reminded me of my Dad's philosophy - don't do everything yourself. There are people who are good at doing the things you hate. He hated working on a car so he had no problem with paying a guy to do the repairs.
I am so glad that Blogger is just click and paste or I would be lost. I am more the big idea guy too. Only I am not as pretty.
Mrs. A--"Belonged"? as in past-tense? Hmmm, could we work out a deal?
Cal--Normally it does bother me to relinquish that much control in a group project, but in this case I was happy to let the guys do the heavy lifting.
I think your code-speak turned me on a little. If I was a lesbian, I'd definitely be into hot smart chicks.
I'm continually disappointed that the computer-genius part of my brain remains dormant. I'm waiting for it to click on any day now.
Any day now...
Kyna found Sarah? Sarah and Kyna, Kyna and Sarah trapped in a freak summer rainstorm while drinking? Good lord that's some good fantasy.
What can I say? She's my kind of gal. And once the computer genius button kicks on in her brain, we will rule the world.
Well remember you will need a good houseboy and I am sending in my resume.
How great to read about coding! (I know: NERDS!) - I got most of it, but haven't done desktop apps in a long time.
I understand dreaming code, though. I created a custom Javascript application for a web GUI order form last week for a client. Over 200 lines of code and quite a headache. But when I finally got it to cycle through the steps AND talk to Paypal? Lotsa-beer-worthy success!
I wish you success as well.
FYI- I think if you wrap your .exe in a .zip you can float it past Google as long as it's not too big.
Ricky, I think you just demonstrated the difference between a natural at programming and the sad people like me for whom it is not instinctual--you enjoyed reading about code!
However, I can say that there are few things as satisfying as getting a program to work just right after you've spent many hours on it.
Beer-worthy effort indeed!
Well, even if the computer genius gene doesn't kick in, I'm hoping we'll still be able to hang out together and have some fun times.
I don't mind if you rule the world whilst I watch. Have one of your minions peel me a grape!
Post a Comment