I'm sure you know a few.
You know, the people you are acquainted with who have "da hook up".
In high school, this was practically everyone I knew.
I don't think I paid for a single Hershey's pie from Burger King my entire junior year. Why should I? My best friend Scary Sarah and her boyfriend worked there and one of them was guaranteed to be on shift when the cravings for artificially flavored badness hit.
I was a sandwich artist, so when you had that craving for a turkey sub but pennies in your pocket, I was your girl. Or if you wanted to stroke my pet pickle (an actual sliced pickle, people, please!) that I usually kept on my shoulder to entertain the customers.
Don't ask...I was a weird kid, a weirder teenager, and I just am better at hiding my weirdness as an adult.
That, and I'm a big pickle fan, heh heh.
Waitressing at the local Denny's diner ensured that it was our spot to go when we were carousing. I could usually sweet talk one of the cooks into dumping some season fries in the fryer for us or cooking some pancakes and at the very least, we'd get free coffee or pop (pop=soda for you non Minnesotans out there).
After high school, I lucked out in many ways...my sister was a server also and we literally used her as a human coupon several times, as she had to be present in order for us to get the discount. Then she got a killer job at a wonderful national department store and I benefited from her employee discount, as well as getting all kinds of great makeup and perfume.
One of my other buddies was a meat buyer for a large grocery retailer and a couple times he had 30-40 inch thick ribeye steaks sold to him for a mere $10.
We ate a lot of BBQ and red meat that summer. I think it was probably the only time in my life that I wasn't anemic and low on iron!
Is this why we get jobs and have friends? To get the hook up?
What's YOUR human coupon story?
Have a great weekend everyone--I start a very nice long week of vacation with the end of the day today, and I couldn't be more pumped. Maybe I'll even get some projects done before school starts up again (but don't hold your breath, I won't be responsible for any collapses).
5 comments:
When I was in University I had connection on student government through my seat for the Education faculty and two of my roomies, one who was student vice president then president. For two years I got passes to every movie and concert that came through Edmonton and many many many drink related products from all the booze companies who wanted to sell their product at the University. It was the sweetest scam ever. Our best haul was a case of free rum from Seagrams which 'mysteriously' fell off the truck before making it's delivery. The Segrams rep was very generous. This was my first lesson in how the world of business really works. I felt like a mobster.
Ah, the free booze coupon! You were a mighty coupon indeed Kal.
Living in the country has it's benefits...or so I'm told!
I was about ten when the first fast food place opened in my home town, Kentucky Fried.. I was in my early twenty's before we got another. We actually had to drive 90km to the next town for a hamburger after dark. (180km return) ..and we did that many, many times. Sad aint it?
Aside from the same from the sister, I don't think I've ever had a human coupon.
Although at one time I was my own human coupon. I worked corporate and some of my vendors would ply me with gifts from time to time. Tickets mostly to sporting events. Good times!
HEY...you still with us? Haven't see you around in a long time.
Post a Comment